Saturday, October 22, 2011

Excuse my rant...



Just have to vent for a moment....please bear with me.  Why does it seem like people are so easily swayed, convinced, persuaded or prevailed upon to follow a course these days?  Are we just too busy with the minutia of life that we can't take the time to open our eyes to what is happening in our own town? 

Maybe I'm chastising myself here, I'll admit that I didn't attend any of the many meetings that were advertised and held on the subject of the MBR which we now find ourselves in a battle over.  It's not like I didn't want to go, I did, I am a community minded individual and I like to know what is going on and have my voice heard on issues that affect me, (ask me about my stop sign sometime) but there was always something else that trumped a sewer meeting at the time.  Cub Scout pack meeting,  Parent teacher conference, bubble bath...you  know, Priorities.  

I'm even going to admit that when the gal came around with a clipboard and petition pleading the case of our rights to have the issue as a ballot initiative, I cried foul with my signature and in a way helped to bring this fight on myself.  I fell prey to the emotion and half-truths that were fed to me, The clipboard holder had no proof of anything she was saying.  No documentation at all...and I fell, hook, line and, sinker.  GRR...

When the September Primary Election came around, I was ready to make my voice be heard and vote for candidates who would do my bidding....But I could find no (easily accessed) info about any of them.  So....I chose not to vote.  That is when I started looking for more information.  By George, I was going to be an informed voter.  About that time a flyer was left on my door for an informational 'cottage meeting' to ...now doesn't that sound quaint?  I thought it did, so I went, at least I was going to get my questions answered about who and what was on the ballot.)  Not really knowing on which side of the fence the organizers stood, I went in with an open mind.  I was thinking that this would be a 30-60 minute meeting.  Nope, 2.5 hours later it was time to go home.  With my new found education in "Modern Santaquin History & Gov't 101", my previously held view did an abrupt about face.   The details, and I mean details, of how we got to this point were laid out and picked apart by myself and my fellow skeptics (other attendees) very thoroughly. 

I recognize now that this issue is about more than just what we are going to do with our waste water.  It's about .....Oh never-mind, I won't get into it.  In the end it's about what is true and what is not true.  As citizens, it is our responsibility to find the truth (about what is happening in Santaquin) help others find it and fight for it.

Ok...Rant over...

No comments:

Post a Comment